Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thank you to those who serve


Posted by John McHale

At Military & Aerospace ElectronicsA we are fortunate to be able to cover the men and women who sacrifice to protect us and our country.

On behalf of my colleagues I say thank you to all veterans and those still in uniform for your service. It has been an honor to work with you over the years. The technology and engineering marvels we write about on our website and magazine cannot outshine your courage.

I also want to recognize the veterans who have been part of our staff over the years I've been with the magazine. Our current Publisher, Ron Mastro, served as a sonar man for the U.S Navy in the 1960s and our late Sales Manager, Jerry Boyle served in the Marine Corps during World War II.

Jerry worked selling advertising space until he retired at 81. He died six months later. I never met a harder worker. He was a true example of the greatest generation.

Most of all I thank my grandfather, Albert Volpe, who served during World War I, my Irish uncles who served and died in World War II, and my cousin Steven Caucci, who lost his life in the Vietnam War.

I don't remember meeting Steven; I was quite young when he died. My mother and he were close and she speaks of him often. It meant a lot to me to find his name on the Wall in Washington.

The Vietnam Memorial, the Korean Memorial, and the World War II Memorial are all quite moving in their own right. Please visit them if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment