Wednesday, July 9, 2008

100+ channels

Posted by Courtney E. Howard

For the first time in a long time, I have cable television. I did not think cable held any real value; I had had my fill of reality TV, for one. I see now the error of my ways, and realize that it is a great resource of mil-aero information.

At the risk of sounding as though I have been living under a rock, I am amazed at the number of shows and specials having to do with past, current, and future trends and technologies for military, homeland security, aerospace, and first responder communities.

Virtually every night this week I have been glued to the television set. As I write, in fact, I am learning about NASA personnel, firefighters, warfighters, and others harnessing commercially available (or commercial off-the-shelf, COTS) components and systems to save lives, expand their knowledge, lend to advanced electronics, and more. This info hails from the show "Modern Marvels" on The History Channel, but it is just one of a large number of informative, thought-provoking pieces available.

I am actually learning valuable information from this box, the very one my parents said would rot my brain. Finally, I can successfully rationalize my occasional couch-potato existence.

Perhaps you will share with us, either in a comment here or in the Command Post community (http://community.mae.pennnet.com), what you have learned recently, direct from "the boob tube."

No comments:

Post a Comment